We’ve all been there… that big deadline is coming up fast and you’ve got work to do. But nothing seems to be working. Maybe it’s a lack of focus or energy. Maybe you get started only to be plagued by interruptions and distractions around every corner.
Don’t panic! It happens to all of us. Fortunately, there are some simple ways to beat procrastination and get the job done on time! Here are some ideas to help you get started.
• Find Your Focus – The best defense against procrastination is a good offense! Know your peak work times. Working when you’re most focused and naturally productive is the best way to get important jobs done. Knowing your peak periods will help you take advantage of your natural work flow. Avoid setting meetings during your peak productive periods. Focus and go with the flow and you’ll get it done!
• Forget Multitasking– It’s a myth! It’s impossible to do two things well at once. Turning your mental focus on and off is physically and mentally exhausting. Break complex tasks into smaller pieces and simple steps. Pick one, work on it until it’s complete without interruptions or distractions. Focus on each small task instead of the big picture.
• Practice Discipline, Develop Routines and Delegate – Sometimes, especially with a deadline looming, work can seem overwhelming. To avoid procrastinating, develop healthy routines and practice discipline. Manage your time and delegate whenever possible. If you do delegate, make sure to leave plenty of time to follow-up.
• Try to Make Boring Tasks Fun –When you’re a creative person, simple tasks can seem boring, but they still need to get done. Consider creating a game. Set a time limit for each task and then try to beat it. When you do, reward yourself.
• Pick Your Top Three Tasks Each Day – First thing in the morning, choose your top three tasks for the day and do them first with no interruptions or distractions. By making your top three tasks a priority, you’ll get them done first.
Procrastination doesn’t have to stop your workflow. Start with these tips and add some time management and you’ll eliminate procrastination from your workday. Delegate when possible, prioritize your tasks each day and break complex jobs into simple steps… and focus! You’ll be amazed at how much you can get done in a day.