Many companies spend thousands of dollars building their brand only to lose that positive brand identity with poor customer support. The fact is, your customer support representatives are often the first direct contact a customer has with your business and making it difficult to get the help they need can eliminate that positive brand image pretty quickly in the digital age.
What follows are a few expert tips to improve your customer support to build a greater positive image for your business:
- If you can do it and have the bandwidth, offer 24/7 phone-based customer support. There’s nothing worse than calling for support and getting a recording telling you to call back during business hours.
- As more millennials enter the workforce, 1-800 customer support isn’t cutting it anymore. Raised on computers, texting and email, millennials prefer to have options when it comes to customer support. Text-enabling customer support is a forward thinking business move as customers are interested in immediacy of contact. Live web chat is a fast and easy way to provide support; much faster than looking up a physical address or phone number.
- Go social! Customers expect businesses to have a social media component today. Invest in, and incorporate, social into your customer service options. Social engagement can take your business to new heights.
- Really pay attention to what your customers are writing or saying. Validating customers concerns, identifying with their experiences and instilling confidence will help you to own and resolve the issue. Use clear and direct language and try to avoid technical lingo. Always be straightforward and polite.
- Hire right! Your customer support people are the first line of contact with your customers. They are ambassadors for your business, provide engagement for customers and represent you as a company. Build a team of talented, reliable and trustworthy individuals and make sure they understand your product, services and brand. Give them the freedom to do the right thing without always needing permission. Train them well and set limits beforehand to avoid potentially costly problems.
Your customer support team is an important aspect of your brand image. Take the time to hire correctly and train your reps well. They can help you to grow your business and reputation. The results will show up directly on your bottom line!